How to embed Vimeo videos
Spread the word! Share this article:
Embedding videos onto your website, rather than hosting them yourself, is the best approach to getting your content on your site.
If you’re interested in learning more about why, then you can have a read of our blog 7 reasons why you should never host your own videos.
To get the best from Vimeo there are a few settings that should be considered.
First off, if you don’t have an account, for doing video embedding I can recommend Vimeo over YouTube for a couple of reasons.
The main one is how it handles videos after they play.
- With YouTube, you usually get the ‘watch more’ or autoplay screen at the end when your video ends.
- With Vimeo, you can set your video to end cleanly, either with a custom image, video, call to action or by simply letting it end.
And secondly is the ability to hide your videos from the public and have a link that will only work on your domain when embedding.
Creating an account.
- Go to www.vimeo.com.
- Click “Join”.
- Create a username and password and enter your email.
- Confirm your email by following the instructions sent to your inbox.
And that’s it.
Vimeo video setup
Once you have uploaded your first video, you’ll want to set things up.
- Click on your video, it opens a new tab with the video and a menu to the right. Click on Advanced and it will go to a page with a menu to the left.
We are going to work on the General, Embed and Interaction Tools options within the vimeo video interface.
- On the General tab, scroll down to Privacy, click on it and change the following:
Who can watch?
> Hide from Vimeo.
Where can this be embedded?
> change to Specific domains
> type youwebsite.com and click on the plus button.
Who can comment?
People can download this video
People can add to collections
If you have multiple video settings to update you can select ‘All Videos’ and update the privacy settings for all of them at once.
When you’re done, click Save at the bottom. This will have to be done for each video.
If you already have some videos hosted on Vimeo you can change bulk setting for them like this…
Go to All Videos or select a folder to see the videos from a specific folder.
Select multiple videos:
Click in Privacy to bulk change the options and click Save:
- On the Embed, enable the options under Controls.
On Actions, only enable the Embed option.
When you’re done, click on save at the bottom:
- Now, on the Interaction Tools, click on the pencil icon to select the End Screen options, set it to Empty, click on Add and then Save at the bottom again. Your screen will look like this when you’re finished.
Here are all the options that are available in the end screen settings, feel free to choose another if you feel it to be more appropriate.
- Now, go back to the Embed tab, click on Create preset, give a name of your choice for these settings, and save it (this just needs to be done once).
Creating this preset will save you all the hassle of having to repeat a lot of the process.
For the next videos, you just have to take steps 1 and 2.
When you get to step 3 (the Embed tab), just select the Preset you created, scroll down and click on Save. All the settings from steps 3 and 4 will be applied to that video.
Summary – embedding Vimeo videos
I hope you’ve found this is a relatively straightforward process to get your videos set up and playing the way you’d like.
If you’d like to get in touch with us we’d love to hear from you,. Use the button below to book a free strategy session where we can discuss how we can help you scale, survive and thrive.
Spread the word! Share this article:
Scale, Survive & Thrive
ProfitAbility Virtual Assistance specialises in Small Business Support for Business Owners